
LOREDON LORENCE BOYNES SR. DOCK
Cruz Bay, St. John
The Loredon Lawrence Boynes Sr. Dock, located in Cruz Bay, is the main port of entry to St. John. The dock is 267 feet long. Ferry operators provide service from this facility to Red Hook and the Charlotte Amalie Harbor in St. Thomas. Dinghy dock berthing is also available. Additionally, there is an open-air passenger terminal at this facility that houses the Port Authority's dock master’s office, a ferry ticket booth, a restroom, and an open-air waiting area.

Captain Loredon Lorence Boynes Sr.

Captain Loredon Lorence Boynes Sr. was born on April 2, 1919, in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. He came from a long line of seafarers and developed a passion for the sea early in life. Throughout his life, he worked as a pilot for a deep-sea fishing company, worked for the National Park Service, and operated a ferry service between St. Thomas, St. John, and Tortola in the British Virgin Islands.
Captain Boynes partnered with fellow seafarer Victor Sewer to establish the first ferry service connecting St. John and St. Thomas, named the Jolly Roger. He later streamlined the ferry operations and founded Transportation Services in 1965, providing scheduled ferry service between the two islands. This service continues to offer transportation for the residents of the Virgin Islands today.
In recognition of his contributions, the Loredon L. Boynes Sr. Dock was named in his honor by the Legislature of the U.S. Virgin Islands via Act No. 5872. Captain Boynes passed away on August 27, 1994, but his legacy lives on.
