The Cyril E. King International Airport (CEKA) is
a public airport located at No. 70 Lindbergh Bay on the southwestern side of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
- approximately four miles east of the capital city, Charlotte
The Cyril E. King Airport is one of the
busiest airports in the eastern Caribbean. The airport operates 24 hours. However the airport terminal is open from 6 a.m.
to 11 p.m. Aircraft, rescue and firefighting services are
available during that time. The Air Traffic Control Tower
operates from 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
The airport covers approximately 280 acres. The asphalt
runway measures is 7,000 feet long by x 150 feet wide (2,134 x 46
meters). The two-story terminal, which opened in Nov. 1990,
measures 7,600 square feet on the first floor and has 11 gates.
The top floor measures 2,380 square feet.
History of the Cyril E. King Airport:
When the USVI was owned by Denmark, the government built an
airstrip in what was know as Mosquito Bay on St. Thomas in the
1920s. On Jan. 22, 1928, the first passengers arrived by air via the
La Nina, a monoplane owned by the Aerial Express Co. of San Juan
carrying its pilot and four passengers. When the United States
purchased the territory in 1917, Mosquito Bay was dredged, filled in
and called Lindbergh Bay.
The airport was originally named Bourne Field and served as an
airfield for the US Military. The airport was turned over to
the VI government after the military ceased operation in the
territory after World War II. The original terminal was an old
military hangar constructed in the 1940s and named the Harry S.
Truman Airport. On October 3, 1984 the airport was named after the late Governor Cyril Emmanuel King
- the second elected governor of the US Virgin
Islands. Construction of the
airport terminal began in 1980 and was completed in October 1990.
The runway was extended from 4,200 to its present 7,000 length in
1992. The Cyril E. King Airport features one of the largest
deep-water, dredged runways in the Caribbean.